October 27, 2009

Veggie-Packed Dhai Varo Ohro

dhai varo ohro

This is my entry into Shama from Easy2Cook Recipes’ ‘First Cooked Event’.

I have never participated in such a competition and really don’t know how to go about it, but all I am hoping for is that people enjoy my recipe. It is one of the first ever dishes I cooked (properly!) and that just goes to show how simple it is to make. It is packed full of flavour, vitamins and just plain yummy-ness! I think that if you like Indian raita, Greek tzatziki or Arabic baba ghanoush you will love this! I used to HATE aubergines with a passion… something to do with the skin and slimy insides (heh). Although as I grew up I began to eat it when it was mashed (without the skin) and mixed with other things. My mum makes lovely plain ohro (cooked with tomatoes and garlic) and dhai varo ohro (like this one). So I kind of grew to ENJOY eating it (wow, as a kid I never imagined I would say that in my life!) Making this dish is such a good way to pack vitamins and nutrients into your diet and also to clear out any old veggies (not too old I hope) that are lurking in the back of your fridge. So why not bring a little sunshine into these Autumnal days with this light and summery dish?

Ingredients (Serves 4)

2 medium aubergines
1 large onion, chopped finely
½ a yellow pepper, diced finely
½ an orange pepper, diced finely
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 red chillies, chopped finely
90g baby spinach, chopped and blanched (squeeze out all the water)
400g plain yogurt (I used thick Greek style but you can use whichever you have)
½ tsp mustard seeds
1 ½ tsp cumin seeds
¼ tsp asafoetida
1 tsp cumin seed powder
1 tsp coriander seed powder
3-4 curry leaves (sweet neem leaf/limbro)
Salt to taste
1 tsp black peppercorns, ground
1 tbsp sunflower oil
¼ cup coriander leaves, chopped

1. Make a few holes in the aubergines (you don’t want aubergine guts all over the inside of your grills/ovens/microwaves… trust me). Place them in the grill and blacken the skin all over (yep, by ‘blacken’ I mean burn– the flesh inside will still be soft and perfect!) This gives the aubergines their characteristic barbecued taste. Allow to cool.

dhai varo ohro 3
Dr Sanju will now perform the aubergine dissection! Ehehehehe…

2. When the aubergines are cool, scrape out the insides and mash with a spoon (discard the skins) and place into a bowl. Add the onions, peppers (yellow and orange), chillies, spinach, yogurt, cumin seed powder, coriander seed powder, salt, pepper and fresh coriander. Mix thoroughly.

dhai varo ohro 4
Me likey bright and pretty colours!

dhai varo ohro 5

Tempering spices or ‘vaghar’ in Gujarati

3. In a pan heat the oil, add the mustard seeds (wait for them to pop!), cumin seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves and garlic. Cook until aromatic. Pour this mixture (the ‘vaghar’) over the vegetable and yogurt mixture. Ahh, you hear that sizzle? That means it’s nearly done! Stir again, chill in the fridge and serve! (I suggest with naan, plain paratha, chappatis or pitta bread).

dhai varo ohro2

Dig in!
TIP: If you don’t want to grill the aubergines you can cook them in the oven, microwave or even on the barbecue. It’s all up to you!

15 responses to “Veggie-Packed Dhai Varo Ohro”

1. Anncoo says:

I really don't know much about Indian food but only a few basic one. I just enjoyed looking at the way you prepared your food with so many spices in it.
    Thank you for coming my blog.

2. MaryMoh says:

That's really lots of beautiful vege & spices in this dish & the yoghurt for that lovely creaminess. That has to be very delicious and so healthy.

3. bigarade says:

Lol @ Dr sanjana!
    I love aubergine!!
    Might have to try this one you know!
    Great work!! 😀

4. Sangeetha Subhash says:

Those look marvelous and sumptuous! Nice presentation & healthy 2.Perfect for the event.Keep rocking!!

5. experimentalculinarypursuits says:

This looks so yummy, esp with the yogurt and curry! I agree – I used to hate eggplants too. I thought they were bland and tasteless and a bit slimy, but now I love to cook with them!

6. Gethan says:

Looks very inviting. Good presentation!!

Anncoo- Thank you for coming to take a peek at my blog! I'm glad you enjoyed this recipe. I think your blog is amazing and your desserts are presented so beautifully! Very creative!

Mary- Thank you for your lovely comments! It really is so yummy with all those crunchy veggies and creamy yogurt!

Bigarade- Haha, thanks! That was just a little snippet of my lame sense of humor! If you do try it let me know how it goes!

Sangeetha- Thank you so much! I do hope it is! 😀

Experimentalculinarypursuits- (wow thats long to type.. hehe) Thank you! It is really yummy and the best thing is that you don't feel bad for overeating when t=you have it for dinner/lunch! Ahh I'm glad you grew to love them too, they're so versatile!

Gethan- Thank you so much for your lovely comment! 😀

9. Rohini says:

" Dr Sanju will now perform the aubergine dissection! " LOL!!!
    Say Aubergine, and my DH will be out of the house in a moment! So I should try this out for myself.. Lovely click!!

10. A 2 Z Vegetarian Cuisine says:

Love your eggplant dish, this is one of my favorite veggie. Looks so colorful, just love it.

11. Nandini says:

Hahaha, love the way you write. Keep rocking!

12. Sandhya Hariharan says:

Nice step by step presentation .. You have a lovely flow…. in writing.. Keep it coming!!!

Following u from now on.
    This is something new to me…..
    Will drop by to chk the recipe while cooking!

13. Vidya Rao says:

Hey nice post…so many flavors in one dish!Nice one..

14. Sanghi says:

Looks delicious sanjana.. yummy blog. Following!! Do check mine da!

15. Cardamom says:

I'd love to try this with yogurt, I've only had the traditional ohloh yet…looks delish, I must say.

cheers,trupti