November 18, 2009

Bateta Vada and a few Extras just for you!

bateta vada 2

It’s a fact. Gujarati’s can’t get enough of these crispy, spicy, soft little things! My recipe is one we traditionally make at home. I love the deep aromatic blend of citrus, chilli, coriander, ginger and cinnamon which is balanced with a delicate sweetness. Bateta Vada are really popular at parties and are great for snacking; you know they’ve gone down well when you’re left with an empty platter which had stacked a hundred of them! This is usually the case at our house. For this reason, I think they are perfect for Christmas get-togethers. A party snack filled with cinnamon spiced mashed potatoes and then deep fried in a crispy batter- What more could you want? (Please don’t say sausage rolls).

If you like mashed potatoes you’re going to love these (because they’re way better!)

Ingredients for the potato mixture

2 cups potatoes, boiled and mashed roughly (try to use the floury kind of potato)
Zest and juice from one lemon
Zest from one lime
½ cup coriander, chopped
1 red chilli, minced
1 green chilli, minced
½ cup spring onions, sliced finely
2 tbsp ginger, minced
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon powder
¼ cup pomegranate seeds (I used them because they’re in season at the moment but if you can’t get any then you can always substitute pomegranates with the same amount of reconstituted golden sultanas)
¼ cup carrots, finely grated
Salt to taste
Instant mashed potato powder (if required)

Sunflower oil to deep fry

For the Batter

Mix together…

1 cup chickpea flour (besan)
1/3 cup rice flour (or self raising flour)
1 ½ cups cold water
1 tbsp lemon juice
Salt to taste

1. Mix together all of the ingredients for the spiced potatoes. Simple. I made it even simpler by using my wonderful, fantastic chilli chopper for the ginger, chillies and coriander. You should use yours too! If you don’t have one then I suggest you enter my Create for a Chilli Chopper competition for a chance to win one!

bateta vada spices

Try to make a soft, not sticky mouldable mixture with the potatoes. If your mixture is too moist add some instant mashed potato powder (sometimes it’s easier to cheat!)

bateta vada mixture

Not your average mashed potatoes

2. Roll the potatoes into ping-pong sized balls and refrigerate for half an hour.

bateta vada 3

3. In a separate bowl make your batter and allow it to rest for twenty minutes.

bateta vada batter

Try to aim for this kind of consistency

4. Have a cup of tea.

5. Heat sunflower oil in a wok or deep pan.

6. Dip the potato balls in the batter mixture and quickly and CAREFULLY drop them into the hot oil. Fry on a medium heat until golden brown all over.

bateta vada frying

7. Remove from the pan and place on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.

bateta vada 7

Serve with cooling coconut and coriander chutney… (Recipe below)

Coconut and Coriander Chutney

Blend together:

1 cup coriander, roughly chopped
2 green chillies, halved
½ tsp cumin seeds
Juice of one lemon
Salt to taste
Sugar to taste
1 tbsp plain yogurt
¼ cup water

Then mix this with:

1 cup coconut, shredded
3 tbsp natural yogurt

For the vaghar (tempering of spices):

Heat 1 tbsp sunflower oil in a small pan and add 1 tsp cumin seeds, ¼ tsp asafoetida and 5-6 curry leaves. Pour this over the chutney and mix in a little.

Grab your bateta vada and munch like a Gujarati!

When I make these I often have some batter left over, if you find that you do too then raid your fridge for any veggies, dip them and fry them. In Gujarati these are called Bhajia (pronounced: bHuhJ-YA).

okra bhajia

Okra/bhinda bhajia
chilli and okra bhajia
Dad’s beloved red chilli bhajia
Now go and call everyone you know and throw a party so that you can make these! Hang on, do you even NEED an excuse to make these???
I don’t think so.
Oh, and if you have any left over (I doubt it) then the following day you can make something called Vada Pau-  a fast food favourite from Mumbai. All you need to do is flatten the bateta vada and place it in a toasted bun with all your favourite burger toppings (and coconut chutney!)
Do keep sending in your recipes for the Create for a Chilli Chopper competition!

32 responses to “Bateta Vada and a few Extras just for you!”

1. Tasty Trix says:

Holy moley do these look good. Better than good. Great. And don't worry – I would never say sausage roll! yuk.

2. Laura says:

i for one can vouch that these are delicious and have gone down a treat in my house! thank you for sending them, i think we'll finish them off watching tv later – perfect snack food! xx

3. SE(Denufood) says:

wow. Sanjana..these look so delicious..one thing that i could ever differentiate between a gujrati and maharashtrian batata vada is the turmeric..now i can add few more things to make it gujrati style..

4. Cool Lassi(e) says:

Man, I wanna try this for Thanksgiving next week. It looks really yummy.

5. kothiyavunu says:

They look so yumm! reminds me of the days we used to buy hot chilly bhaji from the college canteen and enjoy!!Nice presentation sanju.

6. meeso says:

Oh my gosh, this is just a loaded post! So many good pictures and recipes and of course, this is getting bookmarked!

7. Gulmohar says:

Thanks a lot for sharing this authentic recipe…oooh the coating is perfect and love mirchi bajjis oops bhajia….:-)

8. Polka_Roo says:

Oh my goodness! These look incredibly delicious. I think I'd probably eat the entire platter if these were sitting right in front of me. 🙂

9. abraham says:

this is a brilliant post. i just miss them here a lot. i am planning on a series of street foods on my blog under chai and chat section. http://www.chackoskitchen.blogspot.com

10. Kathy Gori says:

these look wonderful!!

11. Kanchan says:

Batata vada with mix veggies.. totally new to me. But anything crispy and has a potato in it has to be favorites 🙂

12. Nandini says:

OMG! Perfect batata vada's (bonda!!!!) Stuffing is totally different! Looks like they are ready for a PARADE! Girl you are tempting with the chopper! Hmmm tough competition:( ( for ME).

13. Sushma Mallya says:

very nice recipe and wonderful click sanjana…

14. Oraphan says:

Wow! These look and sound so amazing! I'll definitely give it a try, YUM!

Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving such a lovely comment. You've such a wonderful blog which is full of beautiful photos, great recipes, ideas and inspiration:)

15. Padhu says:

Who doesn't like potatoes.Your potato vada looks yummy and delicious .Just by looking at your pictures we can make this vada .Such a wonderful illustration.A new comer here .Do drop by my blog

16. Stacy says:

Yum! Seriously, I need you to ship your food to California!

17. Rohini says:

Loved the Bateta vada..! When one of my friends mentioned it here for a charity event, I rolled my eyes and looked silly for not knowing what it meant!! But now…I am enlightened.. The same thing, we call as Bonda in Tamilnadu but we keep it simple with just potatoes, salt, turmeric and chilli powder! But this gujarati version sounds too delicious to miss..

18. Vidya Rao says:

Chilli bhajiyas are sooo tempting…nice clicks!

19. Nostalgia says:

The pictures are amazing..

20. Mae says:

Sanjana, these are amazing! The bursts of color that come from taking a big bite of them – yes, I love it! …and the instruction to have a cup of tea is one I will be sure to follow 😉

21. MaryMoh says:

wow….these look so gorgeous! I can eat a whole plate of them. They look so healthy too. Great for party. Thanks for sharing, Sanjana.

22. Vrinda says:

Vadas look so delish,liked the filling ….yummm

23. Sh... says:

All ur posts are well written. I just love all of them. The recipe and the clicks urges me to come to ur place immediately. Is there some left for me?? Guess the chilli chopper competition is going to be tough, as u are looking for our own ideas. Can you tell me where to buy the chopper???

24. Vibaas says:

first time here. lovely, bright blog. the vadas and bhajias..mmm..too tempting. u r right, we dont need excuses to have them 🙂

25. Anonymous says:

just seeing them makes my mouth watery, I have to ask your motimaa make the chilli bhajias.

saint bapu

26. Mr. P says:

Sanjana, thanks so much!

I love Indian food (think I said that already), and no books ever tell you how to make these kinds of things. Your blog is such a good resource.

When we do Curry Exchange 2010 (tell you about that later), I'm going to make most of your recipes!

Really nice pictures too. 🙂

27. nutan_joshi75 says:

They were lovely!!! Thank you very much for dropping some around….my dad loved them!!! He said they had the right balance of flavours and enjoyed eating them for lunch. 10/10 and that's not just because we're related!

Thank you so much everyone for your amazing, supportive comments!

Tasty Trix- So glad you wouldn't say sausage rolls! It would be a sin 😀

Laura- So glad you liked them! When you feel like having them again the recipe will be here waiting for you! 🙂

SE(Denufood)- I didn't know that the extra spices etc were what differentiated these from maharashtrian beteta vada. Hey, I learned something new too! Thanks!

Cool Lassi(e)- Great! Let me know how they go down if you do make them for thanksgiving!

Kothiyavunu- Wow, I'm so jealous you got these at college… All I got in the college canteen was cheese pizza, pasta bake and salad (YAWN). 😀 Lucky you!

Meeso- So glad you enjoyed the recipe and pics! Let me know how they turn out if you decide to make them!

Gulmohar- You're very welcome 🙂 Haha mircha bhajia= my dad's fave too!

Polka_Roo- So glad you enjoyed the recipe 🙂 Thanks for your lovely comments!

Abraham- Thanks! I will check it out soon.

Kathy- Thank you for your sweet comment!

Kanchan- I totally agree- Potatoes make such great snack dishes!

Nandini- Thank you so much! And I think that any dish you sumbit from you blog would be perfect for the competition- your dishes are wonderful!!! Please do enter 😀

Sushma- Thank you so much 😀

Oraphan- Thank you for your sweet comments- I really appreciate them! Your blog is fabulous- I will be visiting you often!

Padhu- Thank you for your supportive words! I will surely stop by your blog 🙂

Stacy- Haha, if only it was closer!!! 😀

Rohini- Aww, glad to be of assistance! Well now you know all about them and even have a recipe for them too! 😀

Vidya and Nostaligia – Thank you both for your lovely comments!

Mae- Ahh thank you so much— Lots of ingredients though, huh? 😉 I told you, I could never just stick to three; I have no idea how you do it! 😀 And I'm glad you'll have a cup of tea too! wahey!

Mary- Thank you for your fantastic comments! They always provide great motivation!

Vrinda- Thank you for the lovely comment!! And thank you for following too- I really appreciate your support!

Sh…- Thank you for your support! Really kind of you to say those things 🙂 And I'm glad you enjoy the recipes! I LOVE your recipes and the entries for the competition can be anything- from something totally unique to something you cook everyday but have added a little twist to! 🙂 I would love for you to enter as I think your recipes are fantastic! If you really don't feel as if you want to enter then I maaaay let know where to acquire one 😉

Vibaas- Haha thank you! I'm glad you feel the same way!

Saint Bapu- I hope someone makes some for you! And maybe some HOT green chutney to go with
    them?!

Mr P- Golly gosh, whats this Curry Exchange? Sounds like soooo much fun! I can't wait to hear all about it. Thank you so much for the supportive comments! 😀

Nutan J- Thanks for the lovely comments! I'm glad you all enjoyed them 🙂 Now you have the recipe if you ever feel like eating them.

29. Dolly says:

Beautiful Presentation. This sounds like an exotic Batata Vada. Zest of lime,lemon, pomegranate seeds and spring onions. What more can you ask for. Will surely try your version.

30. Usha says:

The batata vadas look seriously tempting….reminds me I haven't had these in quite a while…sigh 🙁

31. Vibaas says:

Thx for stopping by my blog and ur lovely comment, Sanjana.

32. Oraphan says:

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such lovely comments on my older posts. I just found them and you really made my day:)

P.S I'll come back to check out your older posts very soon.