December 12, 2009

Ich Liebe den Deutschen Markt

A buzzing excitement always fills me when I know that I am going somewhere I only get the chance to go to once in a blue moon. It is as if I’m a child once again.

Walking from the dirty, musky underground car park into the piercing night air I feel an incredible sense of wonder about what the evening has to offer. Slipping through Nottingham’s maze-like side streets under a light, warm and steady attack of rain I know I’m going to see some wonderful things here; things which could only be pulled out of a fairytale and set before our hungry eyes. I marvel at the possibilities of whether or not the cobbled street I walk on was once roamed by Robin Hood and his Merry Men in the distant and hazy past. As we snake in and out of the winding roads and masses of people, my companion and I discuss the things that may be at the German market, for this is where we were going.

Before I can take in another breath of bitter English air my eyes are transfixed on the first stall.

german market

Fruit Kebabs? *confused face* I buy one and eat it… for testing purposes only

I hope the next stalls will have more German and little less uhh… fruit kebab.

german market 2

Sure enough they do!
german market 3
german market 4
german market 5
I swear my companion and I are becoming Hansel and Gretel. Our child-like eyes are hypontised by the sight of all that gingerbread…
german market 6
german market 7
german market 8
Every kid’s Christmas dream! Underneath them are caramel nuts
german market 9
Okay, now I am begininng to think we are a part of some sort of neo-fairytale. LOOK at all of those model toys… We are wide-eyed at this spectacle
german market 10
There is probably nothing they don’t have here
german market 11
The little girl in me aches for one of these… But have you seen that price tag?!
And back to the food we go…
german market 12
german market 13
Boiled sweets from Aniseed to Zallouh Root. Pick your favourite flavour!
german market 14
german market 16
german market 15
I make off with one of these pretzels filled with Nutella…
german market 17
Oh yeah, and a bag of caramel pecans.
I can’t resist! I would have sampled lots more but sadly my pockets aren’t deep enough.
***
So that was the tale of my trip to the Nottingham German Market and also my 50th post to you wonderful readers. You could call it the breadcrumb trail I left for all of you who may decide to come and visit it sometime in the future. I promise it won’t lead to a witch’s cottage made of gingerbread in the middle of a deep, dark forest!

24 responses to “Ich Liebe den Deutschen Markt”

1. SE(Denufood) says:

hey congratulations on your 50th post…and these pictures are so wonderful..thanks for sharing a trip down the Nottingham markets…

2. Mr. P says:

I would have been unable to resist one of the wooden mushrooms. They are vilely cute.

And some of the advokaat marshmallows! I love Christmas markets!

3. My Experiments with Food says:

Congrats on your 50th post.
    Thanks for the trip down the German market. Irresistible pics. It would have taken all my will power to stop myself from grabbing some of these 🙂

4. sangeeta says:

congrats on your 50th post and what a treat it is….lovely pictures and delectable flavors !!

5. TeenieCakes says:

Lovely post…enjoyed how it was written. What a beautiful market you got to experience and great pics. Those caramel pecans look tasty!

6. Siddhi Shirsat says:

Hey sanjana, congrats for ur 50th posts…may u post many more…m waitng for ur century:-)
    this pics are awesome…all mouth watering sweets and snacks…u must have enjoyed it a lot

7. Cooking Foodie says:

Nice post – love the photos – I'm in a sugar coma…

8. Tasty Trix says:

I love going on shopping trips like that too! Poppa Trix and I get ridiculously excited to go to the Asian supermarket and have lunch at one of the Korean food stalls. It's like vacation almost. I really want farmer's bread in the photo, mmm. I am a bread junkie.

9. Anonymous says:

Hmmm.. Lovely… Congrats on the 50th 🙂 I would have HAD to get the merry go round for baby.. I would NOT have resisted… 🙂 Love "S" Bhabhi…

SE(Denufood)- Thank you so much! I had a great time!

Mr P- I know, they were so cute! This year everything was so overpriced 🙁 I would have love to buy one of everything!

My Experiments with Food- Aww thank you so much!

Sangeeta- Thank you! I was just snapping away all evening, trying to ignore the strange looks I was getting from people! 🙂

TeenieCakes- Thanks! I love fairytales and stories, I guess I'm still a kid at heart!

Siddhi- Thank you! I hope I get there 😀 I love blogging!

Cooking Foodie- Haha, I was in a sugar coma after all of those caramel pecans too! Just stopped by your blog- Lovely recipes!

Tasty Trix- I know what you mean! I'm like a kid in a candy store! I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets excited about stuff like this! Oh and I wanted the bread too! 🙁 I knew I should have sampled a loaf 🙁

S Bhabhi- Aww, Baby S would have loved it! Send her my love!

11. Nostalgia says:

Exciting.. stuff…thanks for sharing all the wonderful pictures…

12. Kathy Gori says:

Alan made me stop showing him these pictures..he couldn't take it.

13. Chow and Chatter says:

oh wow this looks amazing wish we had one in winston salem!

14. Sushma Mallya says:

pictures are so good and congraz on ur 50th post sanjana

15. Pari says:

Hi Sanjana, when I started reading the post title I was sure I reached a wrong site, german title about a german market…but the header assured me I am the right place, made me nostalgic reading german after a very long time..
    The pics are too good for me to resist. But I am quite alarmed at the prices, I keep changing everything into Indian currency…
    Congrats on your 50th post. Great going.

16. Dolly says:

Dear Sanjana, Congratulations on ur 50th post. It must really feel so good. I'm still to get to my 50th post yet. Loved ur awesome pictures and through them I imagined myself taking a trip down the German market. Loved the fruit kebabs and I would have been tempted to buy that merry go round too. Looking forward to many more wonderful posts and recipes.

17. Anonymous says:

Congratulations on your 50th post. Keep it up,
    now awaiting some serious food recipes as Christmas draws nearer! Great work.

18. Country Mum says:

Well done, really enjoyed reading this post

19. Sandhya Hariharan says:

I love German and was excited to read the post further….

20. A 2 Z Vegetarian Cuisine says:

Congrats on your 50th post, nice pictures and i am sure you would have brushed away lot of inquisitive looks for taking this many pictures.

21. experimentalculinarypursuits says:

Sounds like so much fun! I was in the UK this past weekend too and visited a Farmers Market in Edinburgh – will share those pics soon!

22. Oraphan says:

Congrats on your 50th post! Thanks for sharing such beautiful and yummy photos, I wish I were there!

23. cmiranda says:

Enjoyed your post, loved the post, a true foodie heaven.