December 21, 2009

The Turmeric Showcase: Gujarati Khichdi

kichdi

As promised, it is my pleasure to share with you a recipe in which turmeric is a key ingredient. Gujarati khichdi (pronounced: khiCHdRiy) literally translates to ‘mish-mash’- sounds appetising, right? Well maybe not, but it is one of the most comforting rice and lentil dishes in the whole world (at least in my eyes!) I have been eating it since I can remember; which is probably since I began to grow teeth! Every time I eat a big spoonful of this soft, nutritious, buttery Comfort I am teleported back to my childhood. It can be eaten on its own, mixed with milk for breakfast (although I think it’s good any time of the day!). Or with that other Gujarati favourite, kadhi.

If you are not familiar with this dish then you may be familiar with the British version Kedgeree, which is a similar rice dish made with eggs. Kedgeree was adapted from Indian khichdi to suit the appetites of British colonisers during the British colonial rule in India. I think it’s really fascinating how food blueprints tend to travel alongside human footprints, creating long-term impressions upon far away countries. Could we call them ‘foodprints’? Okay, neologisms are not where I was going with this…

Ah yes, khichdi; a mish-mash both comforting and delicious… It’s great for our diets whether we are 1 or 100!

I tend to mix the raw ingredients for khichdi and keep it in a tuppaware so it’s ready to go for whenever I like. This khichdi mix recipe will probably give you around 10 servings but don’t worry… You don’t have to cook it all at once. If you don’t want to keep any by for next time then just reduce the quantities of everything by half.

Ingredients for khichdi mix

1 cup dried, split mung beans
1 cup basmati rice
1 cup broth mix or pearl barley (I like to add this instead of another cup of rice because it’s much healthier and much tastier!)

Mix this all up and transfer into a tuppaware. It will keep for a very long time!

kichdi 2

Directions to make khichdi

1. Use ¼ cup khichdi mix per person (or more if you’re hungry!). Wash it a couple of times to remove some starch from the rice.

2. Put the mix in a deep, non-stick pan and cover with cold water. Okay here’s where the really Indian method comes into play- You need to use you’re middle finger (yeah, the ‘giving someone the finger’ finger… hehe) to gauge how much cold water you need to add. If you touch the top of the khichdi mix (not the bottom of the pan) and fill the pan with cold water until it reaches the second of the three lines on your finger this will be perfect. Don’t ask me why and don’t ask me how. It just works.

3. Add a pinch of turmeric per person and bring this to the boil on a medium heat Cover for five minutes. Remove the lid and cook with the lid off until all of the water has been absorbed.

4. Season with salt, ground black pepper and butter/ghee if you like.

Please enjoy this authentic Gujarati classic as much as I do! And don’t forget to send in your entry for the Create for a Chilli Chopper competition (ends 31st December 2009 at 23:59 GMT)
C’mon guys, I’m waiting!

Update 21/12/09- Sorry I have been a little sidetracked recently. I totally forgot about picking these up… I would like to thank Ash and Vaishali for this award

And thanks to Anncoo and Sh for this one
I’d like to share them with all of you guys because you deserve them!

32 responses to “The Turmeric Showcase: Gujarati Khichdi”

1. SE(Denufood) says:

Wow Sanjana…I love the khichdi so much..just delightful when topped with a spoonful of ghee! This also reminds me to post my pending draft..

2. Anncoo says:

Looks perfect, delicious and healthy.

3. Chow and Chatter says:

this looks awesome never used mung dal and rice together yum

4. Dolly says:

Love khichdi. Just made it couple days back. I love the fact that you have added Pearl barley to it..making it more healthier. Next time I'll try ur version Sanjana. I like mine with Kadhi, papad and lime pickle. Beautiful Clicks as always.

5. Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets says:

I actually love mushy things and khichdi is one of those Indian dishes that I love to make over the weekend and eat all week (usually with a simple vegetable side and plain yogurt mmm). I love that your recipe uses mung beans with skin cause that's just what I have at home!

6. Nithya says:

Nice pics.. the dish looks really yummy 🙂

7. Ju (The Little Teochew) says:

Lovely! My hubby is a vegetarian and would love this! And actually, so would I! 🙂

8. My Experiments with Food says:

Hi Sanjana, I loved the idea of keeping the khichdi mix ready – to be used anytime one wants.
    Khichdi is my comfort food too, esp when i am too tired to cook anything for dinner. We usually have variety in preparation – with toor dal, mung dal and split black urad dal.
    Your preparations look tempting!

9. AshKuku says:

I have loved kichdi forever….Kuku taunts me till date about refrigerating & consuming…… the kichdi prepared by my Maa in-law, after wedding… because that was the first time I got to taste it… now I prepare it myself….Simple but still elegant prep that is….I still crave for it…

And do collect the cheers token too…

Ash…
    (http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

10. Kanchan says:

ha ha ha !! Am gonna use your middle finger funda and try out the khichdi soon 🙂

11. MaryMoh says:

Another beautiful healthy dish from you, Sanjana. I love a lot of your vegetarian dishes. I just wish you can cook all for me 😛 I have to try at least one, one of these days. Thanks for sharing.

12. Priya says:

Such a nutritious,healthy and filling khichdi…just love this..

13. Ushnish Ghosh says:

Dear Sanjana
    Thanks for the wonderful recipe…I normally make bengali khichdi, This is new to me and will try with Egg plant fry and lot of home made ghee having that smoky smell.
    The introduction as usual is great…and your knowledge about history of food is just too good,, I wont be surprised if you r doing Ph D on " Origin of recipes and British connection 🙂
    Have an exciting and enjoyable week ahead

14. Nandini says:

Although I'm not fond of khichdi, but it surely is attractive with its mushy-mashyness! Lovely!

15. Cooking Foodie says:

Khichdi is one of my favorites too! I love it with yogurt or a dollop of ghee.

16. Cardamom says:

I like this khichdi made with the mung daal instead of tuver a whole lot more…this,kadhi and sev-tameta nu shaak=bliss on a plate.
    looks wonderful, and adding barley is indeed a nice touch. I'll try it next time.

Cheers,Trupti
    The Spice Who Loved Me

17. Tasty Trix says:

This does look absolutely great and I love the idea of having it all mixed up and ready to go. You are a genius!

SE(Denufood)- I couldn't agree more! I look forward to reading your recipe!

Anncoo- Thanks so much! 🙂

Chow and Chatter- Thank you, the combination works surprisingly well 🙂

Dolly- I hope you enjoy it- I'm sure you will when it's eaten with all of those other wonderful things!

Xiaolu- Wahey! I'm glad you like it too! Awesome that you have the split mung beans in the house already… that just makes getting it from the cupboard to the plate quicker! 😀

Nithya- Thank you 🙂

Ju- Aw, I really hope you both enjoy it! 😀

My Experiments with Food- Wow, it's great that you have so many alternative ways of making it! Khichdi is a great standby for whenever you're tired and hungry, I agree!

Ash- So glad you like khichdi as much as I do! It's so simple to prepare and it hits all the right spots! 😀 Thanks for the award- they've now been added to this post!

Kanchan- Hahahaha… It will work, trust me! 😀 I didn't believe it at first!

Mary- Thank you 😀 I hope you do get time to try one you like!

Priya- Thanks so much 🙂 I know what you mean, I feel really good when I eat eat because it's so healthy!

Ushnish- I think it would be wonderful with eggplant curry! Great idea! I've never tried Bengali khichdi, I must learn a little about it! Lol, I'm studying undergraduate English Literature and taking a module in Postcolonial literature and theory- Sadly they don't teach me about my passion (food!) in my lectures but that doesn't stop me finding things out 😀 Take care…

Nandini- It is the besssssssst! 😀 Hehe, maybe someday khichdi will grow on you (not literally grow on you), I mean figuratively lol.

Cooking Foodie- I agree! That's the best way to have khichdi!

Trupti- Your suggestions always make me hungry! I love sev tameta nu shaak, one of my old time faves- and so simple to make! Yum yum!

Tasty Trix- Lol, I wish I was a genius 🙁 I'm afraid dry khichdi mixing is as far as it goes with me! Hehehe… Glad you like the recipe!

20. experimentalculinarypursuits says:

Sanjana, this looks so new, yet so familiar, like a comforting friend. My mother makes mung bean soup in a sweet dessert all the time, but this is my first time seeing them in a savory dish! Also, that finger/water technique is something my mom does (but with her index finger heehe…less offensive to the rice haha). I never trust that though, because when I do it, my rice always comes out wrong! Maybe it's because I've been using the wrong finger..

21. Siddhi Shirsat says:

Hey nice khichdi sanjana…its tasty, healthy and easy to make.

22. Anonymous says:

sanju best accompaniment with khichdi is bhoga ya kitungu(kharia) please make some.

saints bapu

23. Vegetable Matter says:

That really does look like comfort food. The split mung beans are gorgeous in your pic — we need to start cooking with mung beans more often. And hopefully, growing them next summer. Bring back your old self-portrait — you're hiding in the new one!

24. FoodLovers says:

Sanjana kitchidi looks great yaar and congratulations on ur awards

25. Divina Pe says:

Love this comfort food. And always looking forward to recipes with turmeric.

26. Usha says:

Khichdi is one of my favorite comfort foods ! Looks delicious….

27. subhash says:

Hey nice khichdi sanjana…its tasty with lots ghee.

28. Stacy says:

Looks great! I love turmeric and thanks for the tip on the "finger method"!

29. Anshika says:

Whenever I am in hurry or wanna have something light, khichdi comes to my rescue. I love it. You have given me another recipe for it. I will try it soon.

30. Ushnish Ghosh says:

Dear Sanjana"
    I will check, if there is a bengali khichDi recipe already there in my blog circle and let you know.
    On Turmaric, cook my recipe on " Kacchi Dum Gobi'

It is fast and you willl like it

Have an exciting vacation

31. Ashkaki says:

Left overs can then be curried…..although I have to say I am not a fan of kichidi…unlike
    Surukaka and Chanu who love it.

32. Mae says:

Ok, lots of comments here…

First, I never realized that's where Kedgeree came from, that's super cool.

Second – "Foodprints" is a word I now have to use.

Third – Giving rice the finger! I love it! I'm afraid it wouldn't work for me as my friends can vouch I have teeny tiny hands – no way it'd be enough water!

And OK, last thought: I love that your turmeric measurement is "a pinch per person". More things should be this way.

I'm done now! 🙂