April 11, 2010

Eggless Crème Brûlée

eggless creme brulee

Firstly, I’d like to apologise to the French for this recipe. I can only imagine the kind of chaos an eggless banana and cardamom crème brûlée would cause. It’s not even the cool sort of chaos.

I’ve been working on this recipe for eggless crème brûlée for a while now and I think it’s about time I unveiled it before your hungry eyes. You’re probably thinking that this dish is notorious for being laced with eggs and that I’m a total nutcase for thinking otherwise. But trust me… It can be made beautifully without. Otherwise I wouldn’t be typing this right now.

eggless creme brulee 3

Eggs add a certain richness to crème brûlée which I reinterpreted as ‘banana’. Cute. I mean that I replaced the eggs with pureed banana which adds a velvety texture to the custard, along with a subtle banana flavour. I added cornflour to act as a setting agent just as eggs help set the custard in a usual crème brûlée. So you don’t have to worry about your custard turning into scrambled eggs when making the custard for this dessert, due to the lack of… uhh… eggs.

Oh and surprise! Guess what? This is a 2 in 1 dessert, meaning you can make two desserts with the exact same custard base. Gripping, I know. So the ‘little extra’ refers to an alternative destiny for the creamy banana and cardamom custard. That is a recipe for Eggless Banana and Cardamom Ice Cream. Warning: This ice cream is immensely creamy. Are you sure your tastebuds can handle this kinda creamy? I’m not sure they can.

Eggless Banana and Cardamom Crème Brûlée
(makes 5-6)

Ingredients

600ml double cream
200ml whole milk
2½-3½ tbsps cornflour
250g banana, peeled and sliced
1 vanilla pod, scraped of its seeds (keep the pod)
1 tsp vanilla extract
150g caster sugar (plus more for caramelising)
¼ tsp cardamom powder
Yellow food colour (optional)

1. Preheat your oven to 120 degrees Celsius.

2. Place the milk, cornflour and banana slices in a blender and pulse until pureed.

3. In a large saucepan heat on a very low flame the double cream, banana puree, sugar, vanilla extract and the vanilla seeds along with the whole pod. Gently whisk this from time to time.

4. Once the mixture begins to thicken, whisk it more often to ensure it doesn’t settle at the bottom. Simmer gently until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.

5. Remove from the heat and add take out the whole vanilla pod (wash it and dry it and add it to a jar of sugar, et voila… Vanilla sugar!) Add the cardamom powder and food colouring if using and mix thoroughly.

6. Boil the kettle. Not for a cuppa chai. For the bain marie (water bath).

7. Pour the mixture into ramekins about 2/3 of the way up.

8. Put the ramekins in a large roasting tray with high sides and place the tray in an oven. Pull the oven rack out and pour the boiled water into the tray (not into the ramekins) until it reaches halfway up the sides of the ramekins.

9. Bake for around 45 minutes until the custards are just set but a little wobbly in the middle. Did I just say ‘wobbly’?

eggless creme brulee uncaramelised

Set custards pre-caramelisation

10. Remove the ramekins from the oven and take them out of the roasting tray (be very careful because they will be hot). If you’re making these ahead of time, at this point you can cover these and refrigerate them (and follow step 11 when you’re ready to serve). If you want to eat them straight away then follow step 11 now.

11. Top the custards with 1 level tsp of caster sugar and place them under the grill until they caramelise. If you’ve got a blowtorch, use it. Sadly I’m not equipped with one. Lame.

12. Carefully remove from the grill and serve hot.

eggless creme brulee 4

Recipe 2: Eggless Banana and Cardamom Ice Cream

banana and cardamom ice cream

Ingredients

600ml double cream
200ml whole milk
3 ½ tbsp cornflour
250g banana, peeled and sliced
1 vanilla pod, scraped of its seeds (keep the pod)
1 tsp vanilla extract
150g caster sugar (plus more for caramelising)
¼ tsp cardamom powder
Yellow food colour (optional)

1. Place the milk, cornflour and banana slices in a blender and pulse until pureed.

2. In a large saucepan heat on a very low flame the double cream, banana puree, sugar, vanilla extract and the vanilla seeds along with the whole pod. Gently whisk this from time to time.

3. Once the mixture begins to thicken, whisk it more often to ensure it doesn’t settle at the bottom. Simmer gently until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.

4. Remove from the heat and add take out the whole vanilla pod (wash it and dry it and add it to a jar of sugar, et voila… Vanilla sugar!) Add the cardamom powder and food colouring if using and mix thoroughly.

5. Allow the mixture to cool and place it in a freezer-friendly container. Cover this with a lid and place in the freezer.

6. Every 30 minutes for the first two hours, remove the container from the freezer and whisk to break up any ice crystals that may have formed. After two hours leave the ice cream for around 3-4 hours for it to freeze completely.

banana and cardamom ice cream 2

Okay everyone, I give you permission to go bananas and have two desserts today!

40 responses to “Eggless Crème Brûlée”

1. meeso says:

Oh goodness! That's killing me… I can't try it RIGHT NOW! Looks amazing!

2. Priya (Yallapantula) Mitharwal says:

Sanjana, this is bookmarked and a must try. I love creme brulee and eggless, so it cannot get any better. Thanks for sharing. Beautiful pics. Ice cream also looks great !!!!

3. Trix says:

Have I told you lately lately that you're a genius? No?? Well, consider it done.

4. Sharmilee! :) says:

Lovely dessert and icecream…both look very tempting!!

5. notyet100 says:

this looks so heavenly 😉

6. linda says:

oh wow, your banana cardarmon ice cream looks totally delicious. Haha I also like the versatility of it, turning it into a creme brulee as well. I am totally obsessed with creme brulee, so when I read it was eggless, i was a little surprised. But I guess I can see how adding the cornstarch would do the exact same job.

7. sangeeta says:

wonderful desserts both of them..
    i caramelize the top of the creme brulee ( egg n cream one ) under grill too…….and never crib about not having a blow torch..:)

8. AshKuku says:

Oh! how deliciously tempting are the looks….. Awesome presentations as ever….. & beautiful clicks to bring out the essence of your preps…. Very tempting….. KUDOS!!!!

Ash….
    (http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

9. AshKuku says:

Ash….
    (http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

10. Rohini says:

Did I do a mistake by stopping by early in the morning?? Oh goodness, I am sooo very tempted to treat myself to these delights.. Sigh.. Btw, Arent you sending this to Priya's Cooking with Cardamom?

11. Anonymous says:

Looks delish Sanju…will be trying this out!

12. MeetaK says:

sensational. i have friends who do not eat eggs so this is a killer version for them. i love creme brulee (with eggs) and make it often for dinner parties and another eggless dessert for the non-egg eaters amongst them. now i do not have to! brilliant!

13. Priya says:

Am speechless to see that eggles creme brulee wat a fantastic dessert Sanjana, cant believe its eggless..Awesome work, icecream looks fabulous and prefect for coming summer…

14. Jay says:

Hy Sanju,

I can't take my eyes from your lovely pics…really fascinating!

15. Parita says:

OMG thats awesome, thank you for posting eggless version for creme brulee, my mom doesnt eat eggs and I am often at loss what to make for her, brilliant post! Bookmarked!

16. artipatel88 says:

Omg. How absolutely delicious do these look?! Very I tell you. I can't wait to try these at home….Mmmmhhh Yummmy! You're a genius Sanj

(…Yes..You ARE..Dont Try to deny it!)

17. citronetvanille says:

Hmm love banana, I think I would call this a flan more than a creme brulee, looks absolutely delicious!

18. Anonymous says:

AMAZING AWESOME

SAINT BAPU

19. 5 Star Foodie says:

I love the banana and cardamom combo – we make a banana cardamom mousse and the ice cream too! I need to try your fabulous creme brulee next!

20. Jagruti says:

Hey Sanju
    just parcel kari dene..;-)hehe… lovely and delicious!! got to try soon..

21. Kathy Gori says:

Ok, I'm doing this! Last time you got me this obsessed I was making coconut burfi.

22. Brie: Le Grand Fromage says:

yum, this looks so sweet and delicious!

23. Anonymous says:

looks delicious,what a treat for vegeterians!!
    B

24. Rochelle says:

I've never made a creme brulee before but when I get the chance, I think this will be the first recipe I try to make it with considering you get to have some banana flavor in there and all 😀

25. Vanamala Hebbar says:

hey very nice …never tried

26. Gail P. says:

These recipes sound delightful.
    Sadly, I am among most Americans that know nothing about grams and milliliters.

27. Meena says:

Lovvvvely…Lovvvvvely…I mean both recipes r awesome!!!I have made the version of creme brulee w/eggs…your eggless version is just as yummy-looking…good to try for my non-egg-eater friends!!!THANKS for sharing!

28. Haddock says:

I like the use of Vanilla pod here.

29. Diana Bauman says:

Oh my wow! This is gorgeous Sanjana! I do eat eggs, but would love to try this with the banana puree. Really… genious!

30. Puja says:

hi Sanjana,
    ive been looking around for a eggless creme brulee recipe for so long! This looks amazing will surely try out. just wanted to ask u i dont get double cream where i stay i get just whipping cream is that ok or should i change the quantity of cream also i only get vanilla extract here and no vanilla pods can i replace the pods with more vanilla extract and by how much? Thanks

Thanks for the wonderful comments everyone!

Puja- You can use whipping cream or single cream if you wish. If you can't find vanilla pods just add 2 tsp vanilla extract. Hope that helps!

32. BJ's Gourmet Foods says:

Sanjana,
    I am new to your blog, and I am truly delighted in knowing you have created eggless recipes. I too am a vegetarian, and find other ways of getting around not using eggs in my recipes. Kudos to you for creating an unchaotic eggless creme brulee.

Bev @ http://www.bjsgourmetfoods.com

33. The Salty Pear says:

wow! I just read your eggless quiche recipe, and now an eggless creme brulee! That's so ambitious and awesome. Good work!

34. minticetea says:

Thanks for sharing the recipe Sanjana. 🙂
    First time to your blog and already finding myself becoming a fan of your recipes.
    I was looking for eggless creme brulee and found your blog after stumbling to your flickr stream.
    Just a suggestion – You should add a link to your blog in your flickr profile or with the pictures. I had to find it through flickr-google combination.
    I would love to try this recipe but looks like I am missing some of the ingredients …so guess it will have to wait a few days 🙁
    Btw… gathering from the surnames mentioned on your "about" page… you belong to Bardai brahmin cast from Kathiyawad in Gujarat. Interesting, I also belong to the same place and cast. Guess, gives me one more reason to visit your blog again. 🙂
    Cheers!

Thank you for the great comments everyone.

Minticetea- Lovely to hear from you- so sorry it was a chore for you to find me. I will definitely add a link to my flickr stream. You are indeed correct, I am Bardai Brahmin. Where abouts are you from? Yes- please do visit again!

36. Anonymous says:

I made this recently and followed your recipe exactly, and — while it is O-M-G delicious — it did not set. It was more a "thick sauce" consistency instead of the custard of a real creme brulee. What would you suggest I change to make next time set more firmly? (And oh yes, there WILL be a next time!) I did notice that your Creme Brulee recipe asked for 1.5 tbsp corn starch, while the Ice Cream recipe asked for 3.5 tbsp. Should they be the same amounts?

Thanks for the great comments, everyone!

Hey Anonymous, thanks for the lovely feedback! Indeed that is a typo and should read 3.5! I'm so sorry about that. I hope next time is even more delicious!

38. egglessQueen says:

Sanjana, Can these be made ahead of time and caramelize the top just before serving. If yes, then how far in advance can these be made.

39. Neeti says:

I saw this recipe sometime in 2010 and always wanted to try it. I finally tried it & made both the ice cream & crème brûlée. Just loved it! The flavours are so intense and yet so subtly sweet at the same time. This recipe is a keeper. Thank you for sharing.