Lime Pickle Tofu Steaks with a grilled hot and sour coating. The ultimate vegan “steaks” for spice lovers.
Have these Indian-style tofu steaks on the table in under 30 minutes!
My vegan take on “steak and chips”
These flavour-packed Lime Pickle Tofu Steaks couldn’t be easier. You need just eight ingredients and half an hour. Easy vegan dinner done and dusted!
How to make Tofu Steaks
The firm tofu block I use is usually rectangular in shape. I simply cut it into 1cm thick “steaks”.
If you want a more obvious steak shape, you can trim around the edges to round the corners off. I don’t bother because it means I can serve and eat everything without any waste.
How to make the lime pickle marinade
It’s no secret that the majority of the flavour in this recipe comes from the lime pickle. I use a good shop-bought version but you can use homemade if you prefer.
What’s in Lime Pickle?
Lime pickle is made with sour lime, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, chilli, oil and salt.
This Indian pickle packs a punch. It’s tangy, warming and deeply flavoursome. A little goes a long way.
In this marinade, I mix my favourite shop-bought lime pickle with both dairy-free yoghurt and chickpea flour to create a paste I can rub on to firm tofu.
Simply add all the ingredients to a bowl and beat. Brush or rub the tofu all over.
Do I have to marinate the tofu for long?
Absolutely not. This is a very forgiving recipe and lime pickle is potent stuff. The tofu steaks will still taste great even if you don’t marinate them. I give them about 10 minutes while I prepare the peppers and onions.
How to serve Lime Pickle Tofu Steaks
Serve these tofu steaks with the roasted peppers and spring onions, chips (French fries) and a simple salad.
What if I want to make this ahead/meal prep?
This is a great dish for meal planning. Prep it up to 3 days in advance. Assemble everything as per the recipe but don’t bake it. Cover the marinated tofu and veggies with cling film. Refrigerate and bake when you’re ready.
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Other recipes you might like
Lime Pickle Tofu Steaks recipe
- Large baking tray
- Oven-safe wire rack
- 400 g firm tofu
- 85 g lime pickle I like Ashoka or Pataks
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp dairy-free yoghurt I used soy
- 2 tbsp any cooking oil
- 2 peppers cut into wide strips
- 1 red onion finely sliced
- 5 spring onions cut into large pieces
- Chips cooked
- Salad of your choice
To prepare the tofu:
- Drain the water from the tofu. Press in a tofu press or between paper towels, place a chopping board on top and a few cans of beans to weigh it down for 20-30 minutes. This will remove excess water.
- Once pressed, slice the block of tofu in half to create your 'steaks'.
To make the lime pickle marinade:
- Place the dairy-free yoghurt in a bowl. Add lime pickle, chickpea flour and oil. Mix well.
To prepare the rest of the dish:
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Rub the tofu steaks all over with the lime pickle marinade. There's no need to marinate but if you want to, you can let it marinate for 30 minutes or so.
- Tip the peppers and spring onions into any leftover marinade and mix to coat.
- Arrange the vegetables on a large baking tray in which an oven-safe wire rack fits. Place a wire rack on top and brush with a small amount of oil. Lay the tofu steaks on top. The wire rack will ensure everything cooks evenly. If you don't have a wire rack, just place the tofu steaks in the tray with the veggies around them. Flip the tofu half way through the cooking time for even browning.
- Bake it in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. There's no need to turn it since we've set it on a wire rack. Finally, give the tofu steaks a quick flash under the grill (broiler) for a chargrilled finish. About 2-3 minutes should do it.
- Serve hot with salad and chips.
Pin this recipe for later!
If you like this, you’ll love my Paneer Fajita Traybake recipe