Easy Rendang Tofu & Broccoli Bowls are one of my favourite dinners! Did you know that an aromatic rending curry paste can be blitzed together in a matter of minutes? Throw everything into a blender and create a beautifully-fragrant curry paste. It brightens up anything from tofu and seitan, to veggies, rice and noodles.
Now that’s what I look for in a delicious, comforting dinner. I mean, have you seen the Vegan Broth with Tofu Skin & Noodles I posted recently? It’s LOADED with flavour.
Rendang is a fiery and richly-spiced Malaysian and Indonesian curry. Simmer it low and slow until the flavours come to life. As a result, it’s packed with flavour! My version brings all the flavours I love about rendang such as sweet lime leaves, citrusy lemongrass and sour tamarind pulp together in a quick-fix marinade.
Cook all the spices and then whiz it up in a blender to save time. Let me tell you now, this marinade smells HEAVENLY! The tofu and broccoli get to bathe in the warm spice paste for a while before crisping up under the grill. You can also roast it in the oven but I love the smoky barbecue-style finish you get from grilling.
Tips for customising these Easy Rendang Tofu & Broccoli Bowls
- MORE IDEAS: Transform this crispy tofu bowl into a luxurious and creamy curry by adding the cooked tofu and broccoli to a pan and pouring in a 400ml tin coconut milk + 250ml water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes and serve.
- Swap broccoli for sweet potato, cauliflower, French beans or even okra if you have those to hand. This is a great recipe for using up leftover veggies so go for a mix of veg if you like.
- Serve with plain white rice (I like to use Jasmine rice for this) for a neutral filler to temper the heat of the curry paste.
- 400 g firm tofu
- 250 g broccoli florets blanched
- 2 shallots peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 1- inch ginger or galangal peeled and grated
- 3 hot red chillies chopped
- 1- inch piece cinnamon
- 2 tbsp toasted coconut fresh or desiccated
- 2 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 stick lemongrass bruised
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 tbsp tamarind pulp
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Boiled or steamed Jasmine rice to serve
- Press the tofu between absorbent kitchen paper and weigh it down with something heavy for 30 minutes. I find a few tins of beans do the trick.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add the shallots, garlic, ginger and chillies. Sauté for 30 seconds. Next, add the all the remaining ingredients and cook on a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and grind to a smooth paste.
- Slice the tofu into batons or cubes.
- Gently toss the tofu and broccoli in the spice paste and allow to marinate for 30 minutes or longer (you can keep it covered in the fridge for up to 2 days).
- Arrange the tofu and broccoli on a roasting tray and grill until crispy and a little charred. Turn them over and repeat for the other side.
- Serve with steamed or boiled rice and chopped coriander.