Day 3 of toddler flu and I’m still craving noodles, veggies and broth. Vegan Broth with Tofu Skin & Noodles, to be precise. It’s become a bit of a Sunday tradition for me to put on a big pot of broth after Bodhi’s swimming class. We’re all starving by the time we get home so he has his milk and while he goes down for a nap, I get started on the slow-simmered broth so it’s ready when he wakes up. Obviously I snack throughout.
How to freestyle this Vegan Broth with Tofu Skin & Noodles
The process is usually the same for my broth recipes. The ingredients just differ depending on the ingredients I have to hand. Generally, it goes something like this… I throw a bunch of aromatics like lemongrass, ginger, lime leaves, star anise, spring onion and coriander stems into a giant pot of water. Next, I add soy sauce and all the veggie scraps from the fridge (leftover from the week). My fave vegan chicken-style stock cubes go in too (I use an Australian brand called Massel). Finally, the pot is covered and left to simmer all afternoon whilst we get on and do things around the house or just cosy up and watch a movie.
The big reveal
At dinner time, I strain the broth through a muslin to reveal a deeply flavourful clear soup. It’s so light and fragrant with all the lemongrass and ginger. For this recipe, I added vegan ramen noodles, broccoli, snow peas, red peppers, enoki mushrooms and tofu skin. I had dried bean curd sticks which I pre-soaked in hot water and then sliced. Finally, I always save adding chilli oil for last. This is so that Bodhi can enjoy it. I simply drizzle it over the top of my bowl. This nourishing bowl has definitely helped ease some pressure off my sinuses this evening. Best of all, there’s enough left over for tomorrow’s lunch. Now, please excuse me while I crawl back into bed.
What’s your favourite sick day dinner? Along with this broth, I also love these Easy Rendang Tofu & Broccoli Bowls.
For the broth:
- 2 L water
- 2 sticks lemongrass bruised
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 4 cm piece ginger roughly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 star anise
- 3 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 3 spring onions roughly chopped
- 30 g fresh coriander stems save the leaves for garnishing
- 1 vegan chicken-style stock cube
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
For the rest of the soup:
- 250 g fresh or dried noodles cooked and rinsed under cold running water
- 250 g your favourite mixed veggies blanched (I used broccoli florets, enoki mushrooms, sliced red peppers and mange tout)
- 3 large sticks dried beancurd broken into bite-sized pieces
- Chilli oil to serve
- 1 spring onion finely sliced on the bias, to garnish
- Reserved coriander leaves to garnish
- Pour the water into a large saucepan or pot. Add all the ingredients for the broth, bring to the boil stir and cover with a lid. Simmer for 2 hours.
- Place the dried beancurd sticks into a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Allow to soak for an hour. Once soaked, drain and squeeze out any excess water. Cut any extra large bits into smaller pieces.
- Load up individual bowls with noodles, veggies, tofu skin and the hot broth. Top with spring onion, coriander and chilli oil, if desired.
Did you make this recipe?
Follow me on social media to tell me how you liked this recipe + get extra recipes!
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/sanjana.feasts
Join my exclusive private Facebook group to get lots of recipe tips and to talk about all things Asian vegetarian food https://www.facebook.com/groups/2625129724379123/