FEED YOUR INNER KIDULT! These Vegan Rice Krispie Treats are super THICK and extremely CHEWY. I’ve amped up the vanilla flavour with real vanilla bean paste (we are grown ups after all). They’re even decorated with sprinkles (because you’re never too old for sprinkles). Best of both worlds, amirite?
I’d like to apologise in advance because once you try these, there’s NO going back. Don’t @ me when you’ve eaten half the mixture out of the bowl before even pressing it into the tin.
I’ve been tinkering with this recipe since Napoleon Dynamite was playing on the big screen (i.e. a long time ago). I spent hours making my own marshmallows and marshmallow fluff with varying degrees of success. I had a lot of failures; they consisted of marshmallow glob on the ceiling, two broken stand mixers and a LOT of sugar syrup. None of my attempts were as quick and easy as this one and that’s because I’ve left the sticky, tricky marshmallow making to the experts. Yep, all you need are a few bags of your favourite shop-bought vegan marshmallows, vegan margarine, rice cereal, vanilla and sprinkles. That’s it. You’re only five ingredients away from vegan rice krispie square heaven.
These chewy, gooey vegan rice krispie treats definitely get better with age. Is it weird that I like them the day after they’re made, after they’ve had time to absorb all the marshmallow goo and vanilla flavour? I like to be able to pull them apart with my fingers and nibble a little at a time.
How do I make quick vegan rice krispie squares?
The trick to gooey, chewy vegan rice krispie treats is ALL in the combo of vegan marshmallows to dairy-free margarine. Melt them together slowly and stir gently until the mixture is smooth and your arm feels like it might fall off (just kidding, it will take between 5-10 minutes). Be sure to stir GENTLY. Don’t beat it. The temperature should be low for slow and even melting. If it starts burning, the pan is too hot. Turn it down.
Use a silicone spatula to fold the rice krispies into the vegan marshmallow mixture while it’s still hot. Start by folding from the outside of the bowl to the centre. This will avoid unnecessary rice cereal smushing. Nobody likes unnecessary smushing, right?
Make sure your tin is greased and lined REALLY WELL for easy unmoulding when it comes to slicing the vegan rice krispie treats.
I use a tin at least 5cm deep because I can’t resist extra-thick vegan rice krispie treats. Use a shallower tin for thinner bars and more squares if you prefer. You can cut them to any size or shape you like. Tiny, bite-sized pieces are great for parties!
Scoop the mixture into the tin and use the flat surface of the spatula (greased with vegan margarine) to gently flatten the surface. You could also use the back of a spoon for this. Some people also use their hands (wet) but touching hot marshmallow gloop with bare hands isn’t something I recommend.
For a bigger marshmallow kick, toss an extra bag of mini marshmallows into the cereal mix. I love the ones by Freedom Mallows (not an ad, just a genuine recommendation). It’s such a treat, especially if you can find those mini pink and white vegan marshmallows.
How do I store these delicious vegan treats?
Once set, keep these vegan rice krispie treats in an airtight container and store in a cool place. They will soften over time so they’re best eaten within 48 hours of making them. The hard part is making them last this long, trust me.
- 150 g crispy rice cereal
- 225 g vegan vanilla marshmallows
- 30 g vegan margarine
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
- Your favourite sprinkles to decorate
- Grease and line a 21cm (8-inch) square tin, about 5cm (2-inches) deep with nonstick baking parchment. In a large pan, melt the vegan margarine. Add the vegan marshmallows and vanilla and stir gently over a low heat until the marshmallows have completely melted and the mixture is smooth. It will feel like it won’t come together but be patient, it will. Switch the heat off.
- Fold in the rice krispies and mix with a silicone spatula until they are all completely coated.
- Turn out into the lined tin and using the back of a silicone spatula (grease it with some vegan margarine if you need to), smooth the top to make it flat. Press it gently to compact it slightly but not so much that you crush the cereal. Scatter your favourite sprinkles over the top if you’re feeling fancy.
- Allow to cool at room temperature and then cut into squares as big or as small as your heart desires.
Did you make this recipe?
Follow me on social media to tell me how you liked this recipe + get extra recipes!
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/sanjana.feasts
Join my exclusive private Facebook group to get lots of recipe tips and to talk about all things Asian vegetarian food https://www.facebook.com/groups/2625129724379123/