Let’s make the easiest ever Pistachio Barfi Recipe (2 Ingredients!).
This is a simple barfi recipe that looks as good as it tastes.
The textures and flavours are so delicious and moreish. Best of all, it’s not too sweet!
If you’re not familiar with barfi already, imagine a fudgy Indian milk sweet that’s popular during festivals.
This easy-to-make 2 ingredient pistachio barfi recipe is perfect for when you’re craving a sweet treat but don’t have a lot of time.
What is Pistachio Barfi?
Traditionally, Pistachio Barfi is a popular Indian sweet made from pistachios, sugar, and milk.
Pistachio barfi is often cut into square or diamond-shaped pieces and decorated with pistachios and optionally, silver leaf (vark).
What does Pistachio Barfi taste like?
This style of barfi has a dense, fudge-like sweet with a nutty flavour.
Sweet makers who produce commercially-sold pistachio barfis typically add artificial pistachio flavouring and food colourings to achieve the expected look and taste.
My recipe switches the artificial flavouring for pistachio ice cream!
Not only does this pistachio barfi taste incredibly similar to pistachio gelato, it also has the beautiful colour to match.
If you love pistachio gelato from the Italian gelateria, you will quickly fall in love with this barfi.
How long does barfi take to prepare?
My easy and unique pistachio barfi recipe takes 15 minutes to prepare thanks to an incredible trick I’ve developed.
My secret ingredient is… wait for it… pistachio ice cream!
The ice cream contains all the nutty pistachio flavours and enough sugar for a pistachio barfi that’s not too sweet.
It’s perfect for the whole family. With some adult supervision, even kids can participate in making this Indian sweet.
Indeed, this is next level Indian barfi making with ingredients you can easily find at the supermarket.
If you’re looking for a more traditional Pistachio Barfi recipe, try this version using real pistachio butter.
Wait, how does this recipe even work?!
Ice cream is the perfect base ingredient for barfi because it already contains many of the same ingredients as a traditional barfi recipe.
For example, such as milk, cream, sugar, and fat.
This makes it easy to create a sweet, soft, and melt-in-the-mouth barfi without having to add too many other ingredients.
Variations of Barfi
There are many variations of pistachio barfi. Some popular styles include:
- Cardamom pistachio barfi: This variation is made with the addition of ground cardamom powder. Cardamom adds a traditional Indian flavour to the barfi.
- Rose pistachio barfi: This variation is made with the addition of rose water. Rose water adds a delicate floral flavour to the barfi.
- Chocolate pistachio barfi: This variation is made with the addition of melted chocolate layered on top. Chocolate pistachio barfi is a rich and decadent treat.
- Pistachio coconut barfi: This variation is made with the addition of grated coconut. Pistachio coconut barfi has a chewy texture and a nutty, coconut flavour.
Different flavours of ice cream barfi
Using this quick and easy recipe, you can make any flavour barfi you like.
You can customise this 2-ingredient ice cream barfi in many ways.
Simply purchase your favorite flavour ice cream, such as vanilla, pistachio, strawberry, chocolate, banana, or coconut.
Get inventive and experiment with different flavours at home.
How to serve Barfi
I’m a fan of sneaking pieces directly from the tin!
This is strictly a no judgement zone.
If you want to take the sophisticated route, try one of these suggestions instead…
- Serve a piece of barfi with a cup of tea or coffee after a meal
- Try placing a few squares of barfi on a dessert platter with other Indian sweets
- Give barfi as a gift to friends and family! Pop them inside a decorative box and wrap in ribbon
What if I don’t have pistachio ice cream?
Substitutes for pistachio ice cream
Fear not! If you don’t have any pistachio ice cream, you can simply use vanilla ice cream and add 2 tablespoons of pistachio paste, or pistachio cream.
In a pinch, you can substitute pistachio paste or cream with 2 teaspoons pistachio flavouring 1/2 tsp almond extract and some green food colour.
As you can see, this is quite a forgiving and flexible barfi recipe!
Ingredients for Pistachio Barfi
- Pistachio ice cream or gelato – try to choose a brand with a short list of ingredients
- Full-fat (whole) milk powder – this must be full fat milk powder, not skimmed milk powder
- Optional add in and decoration – drop of green food colour (to enhance green colour), chopped pistachios or pistachio nibs
Step-by-step instructions for Pistachio Barfi (2 Ingredient!)
1. Melt the pistachio ice cream
Gently melt the ice cream in a non-stick pan.
Ensure the pan is set over a medium-low heat.
There’s no need to bring it to the boil, the ice cream just needs to be fully melted and warm.
2. Add milk powder to the melted ice cream
Once the ice cream has melted, tip the milk powder in.
Stir well until fully incorporated.
Beat with a wooden spoon to help it come together in one mass. Some lumps are fine.
3. Cook the pistachio barfi mixture out
Keep the mixture over a medium-low heat and stir vigorously for 15 minutes.
Do not stop stirring the barfi mixture or it may catch and burn at the base of the pan.
If you notice brown streaks or flecks developing, lower the heat and continue to stir thoroughly.
After a total of 15 minutes, the pistachio barfi should begin to resemble mashed potato and come together as a ball.
This means it’s ready.
Switch the heat off and stir in any food colour (if using). Be sure to mix it in thoroughly.
4. Set the pistachio barfi in a tin
Immediately press the mixture into a greased L30 x W20 x D5cm (13″x9″) rectangular or 10″x10″ square tin (pan).
5. Decorate (optional step)
Finally, since this is pistachio barfi, I’m decorating the sweet with pistachio nibs.
Pistachio Barfi Recipe (2 Ingredients!) | Pista Barfi Recipe | How to make Pistachio Barfi without condensed milk
- 900ml (3 1/4 cups) pistachio ice cream
- 425g (4 1/3 cups) full-fat milk powder
- Chopped pistachios, to decorate
- Grease a L30 x W20 x D5cm (13"x9") rectangular traybake pan with oil.
- Set a large, non-stick pan over a medium-low heat. Add the pistachio ice cream and stir until melted.
- Once the pistachio ice cream has melted, add the milk powder and stir to incorporate. With the heat set low, beat the mixture with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Continue to cook and stir for 15 minutes. Do not stop stirring or the mixture may catch and burn at the base of the pan. Once the barfi mixture has thickened and resembles mashed potato, it is ready.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared pan and press down with the back of a spoon to flatten. Top with chopped pistachios if desired.
- Allow to stand at room temperature (uncovered) until completely cool. Cut into squares and serve.
- Store barfi inside an airtight container at room temperature for up to 24 hours.
- If you need to store the barfi for longer, pack it into an airtight container and refrigerate for up to a week. Note that the barfi can dry out the longer it is kept in the fridge.
- Freeze barfi in a freezer-safe container for up to a month. Defrost at room temperature. Freezing may affect the texture of the barfi slightly.
- Use any flavour ice cream you like for making ice cream barfi. The fewer ingredients listed on the packaging, the better. Try to go for something without a great deal of ingredients listed.
- Add a drop of green food colour (optional) to intensify the colour of the barfi.
- Decorate with sprinkles, nuts, edible gold or silver leaf (foil), or leave plain.
- If you don't have pistachio ice cream, stir a few tablespoons of blended roasted (unsalted) pistachios into vanilla ice cream.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 96Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 66mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 3g
Pin this recipe for later!
With love and Pistachio Barfi,