IT’S FINALLY HERE! The recipe for The Best Baked Vegan Vanilla Doughnuts I’ve ever made in my life!
Trust me, your home will smell like a freaking bakery when you have these turning all fluffy and golden in the oven.
Get fancy and deck them out in all your favourite sprinkles, rock candies, vegan meringue kisses, and gold shimmer as well as freeze-dried fruit powders because why the hell not?!
Ingredients and equipment you need
- Baking powder
- Vanilla extract
- Almond extract
- Aquafaba (water from a can of unsalted chickpeas or white beans) Plant milk (any – I like to use almond or soy)
- Flavourless oil (any – I like to use sunflower)
- Apple cider vinegar
- Icing sugar (confectioners’ sugar)
- Water Gel food colours (I use Wilton)
- Decorations of your choice (I used sprinkles, rock candy, vegan meringue kisses in blush pink, gold leaf/gold shimmer and freeze-dried raspberry powder).
- 2x mini doughnut baking tins like this one
- Cooking spray
How to make The Best Baked Vegan Vanilla Doughnuts
Time needed: 50 minutes.
Here’s how to make The Best Vegan Vanilla Doughnuts
- Measure and mix the dry ingredients
First, sift all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Measure and mix the wet ingredients
Whisk all the wet ingredients (except the oil) together in a jug.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients
Beat the wet and dry ingredients with a whisk until smooth. It’s important not to overmix.
- Add the oil once the batter is smooth
Gently stir in the oil until the batter is smooth.
- Bake the vegan doughnuts
Fill the doughnut tins, bake in a preheated oven at 180°C/350°F for 10 minutes. Turn out of the tin and allow to cool.
- Make the icing
Make the icing. All you need to do is mix together the icing sugar and water. Add your favourite colours and get creative.
- Get creative with decorations!
Lastly, glaze the Vegan Vanilla Doughnuts with the icing and decorate!
Tips for making Baked Vegan Doughnuts
I like to use a piping bag to pipe the batter into the doughnut tin but you can also use a teaspoon or ziplock/sandwich bag. Simply cut a hole in one corner and pipe the batter into the pan. Be careful not to overfill the pan cavities because the holes in the middle will close up. Easy, right?
The Best Baked Vegan Vanilla Doughnuts are perfect for making with little ones. They will love dipping and decorating. Make them for parties or take them along to any get together. In fact, they are super for making with kids!
How to store
These vegan doughnuts are best eaten the same day. However, they can be covered and stored at room temperature for up to 2 days. You can freeze the unglazed doughnuts for up to 3 months. Be sure to seal them well in an airtight container (Tupperware, for example) lined with baking parchment.
Flavour ideas for Vegan Doughnuts
Besides vanilla, there’s a whole other host of flavours you can try. If vanilla isn’t your thing, switch the vanilla extract for any of the following:
- Grated zest of one orange and/or lemon for vegan citrus doughnuts
- 1 teaspoon of mixed spice/chai masala or gingerbread spice for a spiced vegan doughnut
- 1 tbsp peanut butter for vegan peanut butter doughnuts
- Replace 2 tbsp flour with 2 tbsp cocoa powder for vegan chocolate doughnuts
- Replace the plain flour with a good gluten-free flour blend for gluten-free vegan doughnuts
- Add 2 tsp instant espresso powder for delicious vegan coffee doughnuts
- Finally, you could try a combo of these ideas and make vegan chocolate-coffee (mocha) doughnuts, for example.
- 2 x 12-hole mini doughnut baking tin
- 250 g plain flour all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour blend
- 2 tsp baking powder or gluten-free baking powder
- 75 g caster sugar
- 1/8 tsp fine salt
- 160 ml any plant-based milk such as almond or soy milk
- 3 tbsp cold aquafaba whisked lightly until frothy
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract optional – for enhanced flavour
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 50 ml unflavoured oil such as sunflower oil
For the glaze:
- 225 g icing sugar confectioners' sugar
- 4 tbsp water
- Gel food colours of your choice I use Wilton for intense colours
- Decorations of your choice I used sprinkles, rock candies, vegan meringue kisses, gold shimmer and freeze-dried raspberry powder
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan assisted/350°F. Spray 2 mini doughnut baking tins with cooking oil/baking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In a jug, whisk together the frothy aquafaba, milk, vanilla extract, almond extract and apple cider vinegar.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and gently whisk until there are no visible lumps.
- Slowly stir in the oil until completely smooth and incorporated.
- Piper or spoon the batter into the tins, filling each one a little more than three-quarters full. Don't overfill or the middles will close up so you no longer have a ring doughnut.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then tap the doughnuts out onto a baking tray. Allow to cool completely.
For the glaze:
- Mix the icing sugar and water together until smooth. It should be thick but slightly drippy in consistency. Use as is or colour with gel food colours if desired.
- Dip one side or drizzle each doughnut in icing and go wild with your favourite decorations. For a watercolour effect, marble two coloured icings together in a bowl and dip.
Vegan Baked Doughnuts: FAQ
I recommend the doughnuts are eaten on the day of making or within 24 hours as they can become hard due to their delicate nature. If you need to make them ahead of time, freeze them in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Defrost at room temperature and glaze.
Using liquid food colour is fine but be aware that the colours may not be as deep or intense. You may also need to reduce the amount of water in the glaze recipe. Add a drop at a time to check the consistency.
This recipe will make 24 mini vegan doughnuts.
Yes. Simply switch the plain flour for your favourite measure-for-measure gluten-free flour blend.
Did you make this recipe?
Follow me on social media to tell me how you liked this recipe + get extra recipes!
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/sanjana.feasts
Join my exclusive private Facebook group to get lots of recipe tips and to talk about all things Asian vegetarian food https://www.facebook.com/groups/2625129724379123/
Pin it for later!